Disciplinary Actions 1998 – 2007
The Department of Buildings investigates and brings disciplinary actions against four different categories of persons in the City’s building and construction industry. Below are names of and actions taken against licensees or registrants for the calendar years 1998 through 2007.
- Professional Engineers and Registered Architects accused of abusing filing privileges at the Department, providing false or misleading information to the Department, or engaging in other misconduct;
- Expediters accused of abusing filing privileges and/or violating Department laws, rules and regulations;
- Licensed Plumbers, Electricians and Other licensees of the Department accused of violating filing privileges and/or violating Department laws, rules and regulations; and
- Unlicensed or Unregistered Individuals performing work that requires a Department issued license or registration.
The following is a list of terms you may find helpful in understanding the linked files:
Limited Supervisory Check: The Department grants the privilege of limited plan review (Directive 14 of 1975) to Professional Engineers and Registered Architects.
Professional Certification of Applications and Plans: The Department grants the privilege to a Professional Engineer or Registered Architect to certify that the plans filed with the Department meet all applicable laws, rules, regulations, and procedures in order to receive a work permit in an expeditious manner.
Licensee Certification: The Department grants the privilege to holders of certain licenses issued by the Department to certify that the completed work meets all applicable Department laws, rules and regulations.
Voluntary Surrender: When faced with disciplinary action, a licensee or expediter may agree to surrender or suspend his or her license or registration in lieu of facing formal disciplinary action. Similarly, a Professional Engineer or Registered Architect may surrender or agree to the suspension of his or her privileges to file at the Department or utilize the Limited Supervisory Check and Professional Certification privileges. General supervision and discipline of Professional Engineers and Registered Architects with respect to their professional licenses is under the jurisdiction of the State Education Department/Office of Professional Discipline.
- Fine – monetary penalty for misconduct
- Probation – subject agrees to be monitored for a period of time
- Suspension/Revocation – license or registration is not active, filing privileges are not permitted
For additional information please write to the Buildings Special Investigation Unit (BSIU) at 83 Maiden Lane, 4th Floor NY, NY 10038. For additional information concerning licenses issued by the Department of Buildings, contact the Licensing Division.